More than 30 years ago, the United Nations General Assembly took an important step in promoting the idea that everyone deserves a decent place to live by declaring that the first Monday in October would be World Habitat Day.
Habitat for Humanity asks everyone to join together as one global network in communicating the message that every one of us deserves the opportunity for a better future, and that a decent place to live can remove barriers to opportunity, health, and success that might have been part of a family’s life for years, and in many cases for generations. Through financial support, volunteering, supporting the Habitat ReStore, or adding a voice to support affordable housing, everyone can help families achieve the strength, stability and self-reliance they need to build better lives for themselves. Through shelter, we empower.
Did you know?
• About 1 in 4 people live in conditions that harm their health, safety, prosperity, and opportunities.
• By 2030, UN-HABITAT estimates an additional 4 out of every 10 people will need access to housing.
• By 2050, 7 in 10 people worldwide are projected to be living in urban areas, causing slums and unplanned settlements to swell.
• Better, affordable living conditions lead to improved health, stronger childhood development and the ability — and financial flexibility — to make forward-looking choices.
• Decent shelter contributes to thriving school systems, community organizations, and civic activism.
• Safe homes and neighborhoods help build social stability and security as well as attracts economic investment and development.